We're Goin' Places!

Friday, March 13, 2015

Doctor to the rescue!

You guys...I have a problem.

I went to the dentist this week - that's not the problem, I quite like my dentist. But, on the way to the dentist, I pass a CVS. That CVS is one of those stores any self-respecting drugstore diva hopes for - they're wall to wall with all the newest displays of everything, and staff employees that are very candid about what's coming in, if your stuff is so new that they haven't gotten it yet. Yes, they're that awesome. They're quite out of my way as a general rule, but since I was going to the dentist and all, right?

So I'm perusing, and I find this:


Yes, those are new, Spring 2015 collection Maybelline Baby Lips. The pink one and the purple one are anyway. The blue is "Quenched", which you can get any ol' time. That's in the standing line.

I'm a fan of Baby Lips generally - it's not terribly long lasting, but a little low maintenance color - cause sometimes you want a little something, without having to sweat it that hard, amirite?, some gloss, a little flavor, and all for around $4 US? Yep, bring it on. Let's do this. I've made the comparison before that they're like an adult Lip Smacker. I stand by it, I think it's very valid. 

So I already mentioned that the blue one is "Quenched", which is part of their regular collection. The purple tube with red writing is "Oh! Orchid!" a light lavender color (which is super chic this spring, this color would be a great way to stay on trend, without feeling like you're rocking some fierce popsicle lips!), and the pink with the aqua writing is "Petel Rebel", an equally bright and cheerful pink.

I posted this same picture to my Instagram, with the prediction that I was going to have to do some destashing, because it wouldn't be long before those would be mine.

...and I was right. Maybe 4 hours passed, and I was in my car like this:


I own them both, like I predicted. I have not had a chance to swatch them yet, look for that soon though!

And this is where that problem I mentioned comes in to play. I get home, and start to figuring out how many Baby Lips I actually own now.

ELEVEN.

That's too much! That's madness! I have to cut it down! How many more sentences can I write that include exclamation points! Alright, that was probably one too many.

So, since someone had to get sacrificed to the destashery, let's take a moment to remember them before they go.

These colors are both from the "Dr. Rescue" off set of the main line. These have a slight mentholated quality to them, where the others did. The promotion was that they would be a great benefit to chapped lips. Which I don't have a ton of trouble with myself, thankfully, but I have a hard time imagining that would be the case. you taste that slight menthol flavor for a few minutes, and then once that wears away, they look and perform exactly as the other colors.

First up!


"Just Peachy", a nice nude gloss. I don't have any other makeup on, so these swatches were done on the inside of my arm:


A nice nude shimmer. You'll get a little color from it, you won't have to sweat it that hard. "Just Peachy" is also produced without the menthol, as part of the main color line, if you like the color but hate the cough drop flavor.

And another, "Soothing Sorbet":


This one is pretty red. I tend to recommend this one to people who think they might like a red lip, but it seems kind of scary or intimidating. 


Red. But not shockingly so. So if you might like a red lip, but want to ease in to it, this is a good place to start. This color doesn't reappear in the line, but the main line of colors does feature a red. Because of course it does. 

In January, I swatched a couple of colors from the Electro! collection for you. That collection, for what it's worth, is quickly getting closed out. Which is a shame, those are great summer colors. If I had to pick between Dr. Rescue and Electro, I honestly think I'd take the Electro. The Dr. Rescue colors are more universally wearable (not everyone digs a hot pink lip...), but you also take the trade of everything tasting like a cough drop for 10 minutes. I'm not sure I dig it.

I brought two new lip glosses in, I'm sending two new lip glosses out. Very de-clutter-y of me, yes? 

See you next time, beautiful!








4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. For a long time, I tried to act like they were just OK, but I think if I own 11, I've got right past that and straight to the addiction stage, haha...

      Delete
  2. Baby lips are so hard to find sometimes because they always go out so fast. I love the colors you choose. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth? Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes there's nothing there. They're pretty kicky and fun, aren't they? :)

      Delete