We're Goin' Places!

Monday, August 25, 2014

Here I go again, back on Pinterest!

Last week, I began rummaging around my cabinets, trying to decide what I wanted to tell you guys about this week, and I found this;



Which intrigued me, because...well, because I don't remember when I bought it, or why! So I figured if that wasn't a sign that it was time to test another Pinterest tip, then I didn't know what was!

I googled, and found this post, claiming to have "20 amazing beauty uses for baby oil", so I put them to the test. And I won't lie to you - there's not really pictures for this, you're going to have to trust my powers of description. There's no pictures, because some of them weren't that satisfying (the difference in a moisturized versus an unmoisturized arm is pretty subtle, in pictures anyway), some of them seemed pretty inappropriate (I didn't figure you guys wanted to look at me shaving my legs), and some of them were just ways I didn't want to be seen online (with yesterdays eye makeup smeared down my face...). So it's all descriptors here, which is lucky, because that's my strong suit!

So, the tips I tested, and my experiences with them. Ready? Here we go!

Tip:Use as eye makeup remover- just squirt on a cotton ball, swipe slowly across the eyelid and lashes.

Experience: As "luck" would have it, I tested this twice. I lost my mind for a second, and decided that 20 minutes before I needed to leave to be somewhere, when I was in every other way ready to go, would be a stellar time to try my hand at some cats eye eyeliner. Spoiler Alert: it so wasn't. So I dipped a q-tip in baby oil, gently swipped at the wing, blotted the oil away, and went on my way.

The next morning, I had to remove the rest of the makeup the cleanser didn't get off, so cotton ball, baby oil, and away we go! It did leave a thin film behind, so if that slight oil feel is something you won't be able to get on board with, beware with that one.

Verdict: It's a keeper! Baby oil is a great eye makeup remover!

Tip: Use as a cuticle oil

Experience: I turned to my toes to test this one out for me, and color me surprised and impressed to find out that this really worked! I've got chronic dry skin on my feet, and I was impressed with how much this worked on my toes - I've got a crack in one toe nail, and this actually made the crack look much improved. I know it's fairly cosmetic, but I was pleased.

Verdict: It's a keeper! Baby oil makes a terrific cuticle oil, and a great fix if you have chronic dry nails like my poor feet do!

Tip: Use baby oil to shave your legs.

Experience: This is where my testing kind of ran a little sideways. I've heard a lot of people praise this, not just the blog article I was pulling tips from. Y'all...I kind of hated this one. It gunked up my razor, I was constantly having to rinse it out, and the shave wasn't exceptional - the very next day, my eight year old patted my leg and went "Wow, your legs are kind of hairy...". Yeah. That happened. And the hair was oily, which made it stick to the wall once the water rinsed away, I actually had to scrub my shower after testing this one!

Verdict: Nope! Pass on this one.

I'm going to speak to this last one as a two-fer:

Tip: Use after shaving/ shower for super moisturized legs. Just don't dry legs before applying. And, Mix a drop of baby oil with your regular lotion for shinier skin and longer lasting moisture

Experience: Shinier skin? People will be able to see their reflections in you. I did this tip on my arms and across my chest, after I got out of the shower one day. I looked like I'd been polished to a high sheen. I was slippery! I've done this tip, when I had time to sit and let it absorb, and you do get very soft skin. But if you don't have time to let it absorb, you'll be in trouble. I finally had to blot, after a half hour, and continue getting ready.

Verdict: If you've got time for it, go on, but who's got time for that?!

So I tested four tips off Pinterest this week, and got two keepers, and two nopes. Not a solid batting average, but it could have been worse. The article recommended a few tips that I was outright scared to try - using baby oil on your face as a highlighter, and mixing baby oil in with your foundation to give a nice "glow", for example - but go on with your bad self, if you want to give it a shot. I'd think, especially in the case of mixing in the oil with the foundation, would be something you wouldn't want to do unless you had dry skin.

I have memories of my mamaw, when I was little, smearing herself with baby oil, and going out to lay out by the pool. And I remember thinking how crazy awesome and glamorous that was. Of course, I do not - not even a little bit - recommend that one. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment