We're Goin' Places!

Monday, August 18, 2014

Ipsy, Ipsy, Ipsy!

Like any good beauty blogger, I recently subscribed to Ipsy, and I've recently mentioned Ipsy to several people who really didn't know what it was. And, like any good blogger, I'm here to solve that problem

Ipsy is a subscription based service. For the low cost of $10 a month, you receive a small makeup bag full of five new treats to try, every month! You can subscribe from month to month, or you can buy a years subscription for $110, which gives you one month for free. When you subscribe, you take a quick survey that gives them your product preferences, and even allows you to talk about your brand preferences, and then every month you get a new bag, that comes in a cheerful pink envelope!

The bags are each themed to the season - July was my first bag, and it was themed for "fun in the sun", so my bag included a bronzer, a tanning oil, and a beach spray for the hair, along with an eyeshadow and lip pencil. This months theme is "back to school", so I received a makeup primer, eyeliner, mascara, blush and lip balm. Some of the products are sample size, and Ipsy has negotiated for you to get a sale price if you buy the item full size.

I only just received my August bag on Saturday, so I'm not ready to give super detailed reviews on any of the products in it, but I can speak to each of them a little;



My treats! Included in the bag;

A sample size of Urban Decay Perversion mascara, as well as a small pamphlet on the virtues of the mascara. I'm not 100% on it yet. It lengthens considerably better than my current mascara - which is nice, my lashes aren't what they used to be, I could use the help. But one of the big selling points behind Perversion is how pigmented it is, and I'm just not convinced on that point yet. Don't worry, I'm not giving up on my research!

Dr. Brandt "Pores No More" pore refiner and primer. I've currently got multiple pore refining and priming products in my makeup bag, at a variety of price points, and I pretty instantly noticed a major different between those and this one. They go on much thicker than this - they dry to a silky soft finish, to be sure, but they start out much thicker. This one starts thinner, it feels much more like a foundation than a primer. So if you've never been able to get on board with a primer because you didn't like the thickness, you might actually like this. It's also tinted, which I think I like as well. If you were going for a nice, no makeup look, this could make a great foundation. Supposing, I guess, that you were light/medium skinned, because there's no mention of color.

Coastal Scents "Forever Blush" sample. I really wish these were full sized! These colors seem really nice, if a bit cooler than I might pick otherwise, but it's hard to judge for sure, when the sample is so small!

Lord and Berry Silk Kajal Kohl-liner in black. My membership is new, but I've gotten a couple of really pleasant surprises so far, and this is one of them. Goes on really smooth, lots of pigment, and long lasting. This would be another that I would have to consider buying full sized!

And lastly, Absolute New York "You're The Balm" lip balm in green apple. This balm comes in a pot, which not everyone likes, so that might not be something you're in to. But it's got a great green apple scent that will take you right back to your Bonne Belle days. It even layers well - I tried it over the top of a lip pencil to give it a little more shine, and it works great! My only wish would be that the shine and moisture lasted longer - it's all gone too soon! :D

If I've said enough, and you're kind of intrigued, please click this link: Ipsy! I get credit for referring you, so we both win!

I do greatly recommend Ipsy, for the makeup geek in all of us. I am not certain if they ship outside the US however, so if you're from outside the US and reading this, that's certainly something to look in to as well.

And as an aside to any Sinful Colors nail polish fans, of which I'm clearly one; they're on sale for 99 cents this week at Walgreens if you have a Wellness Rewards card! All the colors, even the new summer collections. Go stock up! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment