We're Goin' Places!

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Battle of the BB Creams, Round ONE!

All week, I'm featuring various BB Creams. Mainly to compare them to each other, and partly because...well, because I've got a lot of them. So let's talk BB Creams!

Yesterday, I explained what a BB Cream is. Sort of a heavy weight tinted moisturizer (some brands have actually phased out their tinted moisturizer, in favor of the popularity of BB Creams), or a light weight foundation, depending on the brand you're working with.

Today, we're talking:


Fergie for Wet N Wild's BB Cream 8 in 1 beauty balm!

This product came out with much the consistency of a foundation. I wouldn't have thought anything was amiss if it'd said it was one in fact. No funky smells, nothing seemed out of the ordinary in any way. Stellar so far!

And just for the sake of comparisons, this is the face I'm working with:


Little ruddy, little uneven in places, but nothing terrible right? Right. Nothing a BB Cream shouldn't be able to handle.

I washed my face with the Aveeno Positively Ageless face wash, applied the Aveeno Day Cream, and L'Oreal Revitalift Miracle Blur. Used a foundation brush to apply the BB Cream. After application;


See, this is where me and this BB Cream start to run off the rails with each other a little. Coverage is good, not great. See the left side of my nose (right side, as you're looking at the photo). See how it's still visibly red? See how the blemish by my lip is still pretty pink too? See me being annoyed with that?

Let's not lie to each other - the color match is pretty impeccable. This is "Light", and it's probably right up there with the best matched foundations/BB Creams I've ever worn. But if it's not covering everything, then it doesn't make much of a difference.

Also, it never fully absorbed in to my skin. I had to powder over it, to get that slightly tacky feeling to go away.

After powder, bronzer, blush, eyebrow wax, and mascara;



Notice how I look...kind of splotchy? And how what looked like a excellent color match in the last picture no longer really does?

Meet my biggest problem with this BB Cream - the color grabbing! I used my typical brushes, and my typical technique, and my typical product, and began trying to do a speedy little contour. I do that a lot, should have been no big deal. The BB Cream grabbed up the color, as if I were rubbing the bronzer compact directly on to my skin. Which I did not! I buffed and buffed and buffed, and was able to get the color to lighten up some, but there's still some visible splotchies. And just to test, to make sure that it wasn't that my bronzer had gone weird, I swatched both my highlight and contour shades on the inside of my arms. They were not the guilty parties on this one, it was hands down the BB Cream.

Just to put them all next to each other:


My verdict? Unless you plan to wear nothing but the BB cream and translucent powder, skip it.


No comments:

Post a Comment