We're Goin' Places!

Friday, January 23, 2015

Last up in the battle of the BB Cream all-stars...

So for the last few weeks, I've been trying out, and talking to you guys about, different drug store BB Creams. To review, a BB cream is...well, is a punched up tinted moisturizer. They're good for you if you've generally got good skin and just want the tone evened out a little, or you can layer it with your foundation if you're not getting enough coverage from your foundation already.

Over the last two weeks, we've talked about the Fergie for Wet N Wild version (not to shabby, but a little color grabby), the Maybelline version (really nice, which it's not hard to make a nice BB cream, when that's not actually what you made!), and Olay (probably the closest to a BB cream in the technical sense, but falters in that the colors run warm, and the shade range is very small).

So last up!


Garnier! 

Garnier boasts among the most extensive line of BB creams of any brand I think I've probably seen. They have the one you see pictured (who we'll call 'original formula' because...well, because it makes me laugh), oil control, anti-acne, and anti-aging. So whatever your needs are, Garnier wants to be your BB cream provider!

Where Maybelline's BB Cream promised 8 benefits that were really all just synonyms for each other, Garnier keeps it a little more simple, promising only to "renew, brighten, even skin tone, protect and hydrate".

To my eye at least, it does all of those things, quite well.

Let's go to the pictures!


Now admittedly, whether a skin care product renews and hydrates is a little subjective, because you can't really see that sort of thing on camera anyway. But, as for what we can see - little unevenness in tone, the red around the nose that I constantly blather on about, all that jazz?



The after? Evened out my skin tone, and my skin does look noticeably brighter, and fresher than in the before picture. Thumbs up, Garnier!

Garnier considers this to be a moisturizer, so you'll find this with their skin care products at your local drug store. And it does come out like a moisturizer - thick and creamy like a lotion, rather than the thin and runny that you'd expect from a foundation.

I typically apply with a foundation brush, over primer. I find that I can't get the BB cream smoothed down in a way that makes me happy, when I just use my fingers. I also appreciate about the Garnier BB cream that the coverage builds better than with some. You're actually seeing two coats through most of my t-zone, although you wouldn't know.

The Wet N Wild and Olay versions both suffered from a bit of the color grabbiness, but I didn't have that problem here. I purposely, as I was doing these posts, kept my look very simple, I wanted my actual skin to be the center of each picture. I used POP Beauty bronzer in this picture. Not only did it not grab any of the color, it probably could have stood up to a little more!

There's no over bearing scents to note here - I bought a Garnier face wash that makes me crazy because the scent is so strong. The shades are limited (Fair/Light, Light/Medium and Medium/Deep, according to the Garnier website. I'm wearing Fair/Light), but don't run as warm as Olay, which has a similar color range. The coverage is good, and builds well.

So, at the conclusion of our BB Cream Battle Royale, as if the conclusion weren't genuinely obvious, I'd have to say - Garnier is the champ of the drug store BB Creams. No scent, layers well. Brightens skin and evens out skin tone. Washes off cleanly at the end of the day. If you're going drug store for a BB cream, I do believe this is your guy. The Wet N Wild was a great color match, but too color grabby. Maybelline tends to run a smidge pink for me, and as I've pointed out - it wasn't really a BB cream anyway. And the Olay verion is a little warm, and shade limited. And as Garnier doesn't suffer from any of those problems, I've got to declare Garnier the champ. But I'm not one to let Garnier bask in the glow of victory for long, I'm sure I'll be back in no time to tell you about some other awesome BB cream. =)

See you next time, lovelies!

Like BB Cream? Me too! This isn't the only time I've talked about it!

Do I look familiar? You may have also seen me here!



No comments:

Post a Comment