We're Goin' Places!

Friday, May 8, 2015

Fresh Food Friday "Hey...This is Pretty Good!" Edition

Still plugging away, working through Trisha Yearwood's "Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen" cookbook, and I was really skeptical about this one, you guys. It sounded kind of like a mismash of all sorts of stuff, and I just wasn't sure I'd like it. Check out the recipe, and you'll see what I mean. Aren't you a little skeptical? I sure was.

At any rate, I gave it a shot:


I did this a little bit the semi-homemade way, and just bought one of those $5 rotisserie chickens from the store, rather than seperatly prepare a chicken. Mayo, relish, eggs. Bada-bing. The eggs are new to my grocery store, they're called "Grazing Fields" eggs, and they're farm fresh. They're so fresh, a number of them actually still have the stamp on them from what field they came out of! You can purchase them for 40 cents per egg, or $4 for a dozen at any Busch's, if you're in SE Michigan.


Deboned chicken and shelled eggs!

Cut and dice them in to bite sized pieces like so:


Add the mayo and relish, stir, and bingo-bango;


Chicken salad!

I was really skeptical of this one, like I said, it seemed like sort of a mismash of stuff. But this was really good. I was pleasantly surprised! For a wide variety of flavors, none were particularly overwhelming, they work really nicely together. One of the notes in the book is from Trisha's sister, who says she's known to have this in the mornings spread on toast, and I'm not sure I'm ready to go that far with it, but it's really good!

None of the picky eaters in my house have tried this yet, and there's a lot here to trip them up anyway - my son doesn't like pickle, and my husband doesn't like mayo. With a different method of serving, I believe this would be gluten free or darn close to it, but my vegetarian friends would have trouble here - chicken and egg is a lot of substitutions to make! 

Last weeks "Fresh Food Friday" edition - which also included eggs, mayo and pickle relish, is over here!






No comments:

Post a Comment