We're Goin' Places!

Friday, May 1, 2015

Fresh Food Friday - "Team Garth Vs. Team Trisha" Edition

Still plugging away through Trisha Yearwood's "Georgia Cooking in a Oklahoma Kitchen" cookbook, and I found a curious recipe - "His and Hers Deviled Eggs". If you didn't already, you've got my attention now Trisha. What do ya got?

In the notes for the recipe, she explains that she and Garth's moms each made Deviled Eggs differently when they were growing up, and she couldn't really decide which to feature, so she decided to feature them both. Try them both, eat the one you like.

And the "Hers" version is kindly reprinted by Food Network, here.


The merry band of misfits, as they were. The yellow mustard and the mayo get used for both sides, the butter and relish each only make one appearance. As I was making this at 11:00 pm, I literally made myself A deviled egg. That's why you only see the one. The hydrogen peroxide and dum dum pop are photo bombers, they're not included (but they're strangely good luck for me, the only versions of this shot that I liked were versions that they were included in. Pictures. They're weird.)

Team Garth:


Mustard, butter, and mayo. Add yolk. Stir. And I was tinkering with the quantities quite a bit, because the recipes were written for 12, and I was making one. This is a dramatically scaled down version. And I did discover that this mixture grows quite a bit, so if you like this one...apply sparingly. You'll get it everywhere.

Team Trisha:



Basically the same, but the butter has been replaced by pickle relish. Add your yolk, stir. This mixture grows a little not nearly as much as the mixture from Team Garth does though.

Salt. Pepper. Serve.


The "Team Trisha" final product.


The "Team Garth" final product. I wonder if I'd come up on the shrunk down quantities a bit more scientifically than I had, if this growth wouldn't have happened the way that it did, but do you see what I mean by growing? It's everywhere!

So I've sampled both now. And I can tell you that I am unequivocally, no questions asked, Team Garth on this one. I'm not picky, I've got no particular food allergies, but there's just something about the combination of pickle and mustard that I just really don't like. The "Team Garth" egg was much more mild. I don't think anyone can argue that "Team Trisha" makes a much more cosmetically attractive egg, but long live Team Garth!

Since I usually talk some about allergies - unless I've really missed something, there's nothing in here gluten free, but there is - as there seems to be in her recipes - dairy at every turn. So you'd have to work that one out. It seems like the substitution for the mayo would be easy enough, but I don't know how you'd work around that big EGG problem.

Digging these recipe walk throughs? Check out last weeks!

Did you see this recipe here? If so, welcome!




No comments:

Post a Comment