We're Goin' Places!

Friday, April 10, 2015

Fresh Food Friday - Meatball Edition!

I had such a blast walking through a recipe with you guys last week - and you guys seemed to enjoy it, it's been one of my best received posts - so I thought we'd do it again!

We're again working out of Trisha Yearwood's cookbook, "Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen", making her "Sausage Hors d'Oeuvres". Which again, legally since the recipe isn't mine, I can't reprint. But Food Network can!

My son rarely takes interest in anything I blog about, but when he found out that these guys:


were all that stood between him and some meaty deliciousness, he wanted in. And kudos to the Easy Cheese for the photo bomb (right side, in the corner), I didn't see that until just now.

At any rate, the recipe is fairly straight forward. Mix the sausage (it actually took two tubes), cheese (it took a little less than this whole package), and Bisquick. Bake. Enjoy. The Bisquick was the real trip - the recipe calls for 3 cups of Bisquick, which is the entire box of the Gluten Free size. By about a cup and a half, I was having trouble continuing to mix the Bisquick in. So just go by feel a little bit. The recipe also suggests spicy sausage. If you have spicy fans, go nuts. I have fussy eaters, so I went with bacon, because even the fussiest eaters I know love bacon and cheese.



Try as it might, fresh meat doesn't take a great picture. But we put the ingredients into a bowl, and went for it.


Bisquick. See how it just takes everything over? It was everywhere, and that was at half what the recipe called for!

Once you get them well mixed, pat in to balls, and bake.



Fresh and yummy! Mine didn't show up nearly as pretty and food styled as Trisha's did (plus, I'm new to these recipe walk throughs, I'm still working on the whole food styling thing, hah!), but darn it, they are tasty. I tried mine with a little dip of grape jelly, and could see them going well on any brunch buffet. My son thought the grape jelly idea was gross though.

As for the common allergen warning: Great Value Cheese is gluten free, as is the GF Bisquick, but Jimmy Dean does not guarantee that their sausages are gluten free. So you could swap for a guaranteed GF sausage, and be good there. No eggs, tons of dairy.

These little protein bombs are guaranteed to please even the fussiest eaters, I recommend them, for sure!

See you later, lovelies!

Like recipe walk throughs? Me too! I've talked about them before! Like here for example!

No comments:

Post a Comment